Events of the Austin District Music Teachers Association and Bluebonnet Music Teachers Association- a summary
Local Festivals of ADMTA, TexasDeadline to register is one month before the festivals
The fees are $10 for festivals
Winners are eligible to play at the Honors Recital one month after the festival.
* October - Jazz, Pop and Rock Festival (music must be memorized)
* November - Duet Festival (music does not need to be memorized)
* February - Baroque-Classical Festival (scales and cadences are required) (pieces must be memorized)
* April - Romantic-Contemporary Festival (scales and cadences are required)(pieces must be memorized)
Composer list: http://www.austintxmusicteachers.org/Composerlist.html
TestsTheory tests - the complete test is offered in October- and January. Must test at school grade level.
Local Contests and ScholarshipsEntry fees are about $25 each.
* October - Original Composition Contest (must have passed appropriate theory test). Must submit handwritten composition and tape recording by student. Students receiving S+ rating may play in Honors Recital. Submit State Original Composition Contest form
* November - Publication Competition - this is an essay contest. Topics are listed in the Texas Music Teachers Association website http://tmta.org Winning essays are sent on to the State competition.
* March - Schedler Piano Contest (for 6th, 7th and 8th grade students). Student must play two contrasting solo pieces. Music must be memorized. The winner receives an award of $250 to be used for a designated workshop or summer camp.
* March - High School Scholarship Contest (for high school students) Must perform three selections from advanced solo repertoire from different eras. Music must be memorized. Awards $250 to $600.
* April - Solo Contest - students must enter at their school grade level or higher. Music must be memorized. Entrants must play one solo from the Solo Contest Repertoire list and one solo of their choice in a contrasting style. Repertoire list: http://www.austintxmusicteachers.org Winners receive trophies and may play at the Honors Recital 5.
* February - Performance Contest - students must have passed appropriate theory test. Fees $30-$40. Complete registration information at http://tmta.org . Application form Performance Local Application Winners must enter district and state contests.
* Ensembles For Convention - Students play duets from approved repertoire at the convention in Houston or Dallas in June. Music must be memorized. Must pass appropriate theory test. Fee $20. Stipends about $50. Registration deadline: February. Rehearsals in Austin on Saturdays for six weeks in May.
District and State Performance ContestsFor high school students and graduates who are winners in local competition)
Music must be memorized. Must have passed appropriate theory test. Fees $30-$50. See details in the TMTA handbook at http://tmta.org Finalists are eligible to play at local Honors Recital. Awards grades 7-12: $50- $150; high school graduates: $300-$500..
March - District contest in San Marcos
June - State Performance Contest, Sam Houston State University, Houston
Local Festivals of BMTASonatina Festival in April
Composition Contest and Theory Test